You will almost always find a spicy cocktail sauce right next to peel and eat shrimp. It is a very simple sauce to make
and packs much more flavor than jarred.
Let’s talk about what exactly makes up a good cocktail sauce. You can also use chili sauce if you prefer.
- Ketchup – the base of the sauce. Try and find one that is organic and doesn’t use HFCS, it will make a difference.
- Horseradish – this is where some of the kick comes from. Use a ‘prepared’ horseradish. It is usually found either in the refrigerated section or by the pickles and condiments. This little spice goes a long way. It’s best to start small, taste, then adjust.
- Worcestershire sauce – this adds another depth of flavor, a deeper richer flavor.
- Brown Sugar – there is a very small amount of brown sugar in this but it’s just enough to add a little more sweetness.
- Lemon – this will lift the cocktail sauce back up and give it a refreshing burst of flavor.
If you find yourself with some leftover cocktail sauce it makes a great base for Bloody Mary’s !Print
- 1/2 Cup Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Horseradish
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Stir all ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 1