Store bought frostings and icings are easy, cheap and quick. We get it. But they are also filled with unpronounceable words and chemicals and lets face it, EVERYONE knows when you use canned frosting.
There is also an abundance of buttercream frostings out in the world. But what if you want something lighter? Something fluffy and soft?
Well the answer is quite SIMPLE. Make your own cream cheese frosting – it only has FOUR ingredients!
- Cream Cheese (BLOCK not tub)
- Powdered Sugar
There are a few things to keep in mind before making this frosting.
- First thing is to make sure the cream cheese and butter are at room temperature.
- Use full fat cream cheese
- If you plan to pipe your frosting (like in our pictures) SIFT the powdered sugar first. This will help ensure there are no little lumps.
- If you find the frosting to be a little runny, add a little cornstarch to help thicken it.
- You will get the best results if you refrigerate the frosting prior to piping it.
What can you put cream cheese frosting on?
Well if you ask us, you can just scoop it out with a spoon and eat it. But if you want to get all fancy on us you can put it on:
WANT TO ADD A LITTLE FLAVOR?
- Pumpkin Spice: 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Lemon: 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Chai Spice: 3/4 teaspoon chai spice mix
- Coconut: 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 6–8 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1–2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl add cream cheese and beat until smooth.
- Add in the butter and beat butter until smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar mixing in between each addition.
- Beat until smooth.
- Beat in vanilla until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes or cake.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator for up to 3-4 days in a covered container.
NOTE: This is the amount for a layered cake or a large amount of cupcakes. The recipe can be cut in half if needed for a smaller amount.
- Serving Size: 1