You’re going to want to bake this classic white cake with buttercream frosting whether it’s your birthday or not. With its delicate vanilla flavor, fluffy crumb, and the creamy buttercream frosting, there’s no better way to end a meal than with this cake.
While this classic cake recipe doesn’t call for complicated ingredients or steps, it certainly packs a decadent flavor punch.
Let’s dive into how to make this delicious white cake first:
- This cake requires 2 round cake pans – begin by preparing the pans with some non stick cooking spray and cutting a piece of parchment paper into a circle to press on the bottom. Spray again.
- Combine the butter, shortening and sugar in a bowl. Add the egg whites and vanilla.
- Grab another bowl and combine the baking powder, flour, and salt and add to the wet ingredients. Add the milk.
- Pour it evenly into the baking pans and bake.
Now, onto that buttercream frosting:
Making buttercream frosting at home is ridiculously simple, however the butter MUST be at room temperature and soft, so plan accordingly.
- Cream the butter in a bowl with a hand mixer or spoon until it is smooth.
- Incorporate the vanilla and gradually add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, and keep mixing.
- Once the frosting is fully combined, add 1 Tablespoon of milk at a time until the frosting is soft and creamy.
This simple vanilla buttercream frosting recipe can be used on cupcakes, cookies, and cakes. Try adding a little food coloring to make different colored frostings for a holiday, like the 4th of July, or someone’s birthday.
Buttercream frosting can be stored for up to 2 weeks in an air tight container in the fridge. Simply bring it to room temperature to decorate. A decorated, frosted cake can be left at room temperature.
White cake can be served alone or alongside some vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries.
BONUS! Click here for a few simple cake decorating ideas to help make your cake the most beautiful it can be.Print
Learn how to make a classic white cake with a vanilla buttercream frosting – the #1 choice of most bakers, and throw those boxed cakes away!
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1 Cup Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 Cups Powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- ¼ Cup Whole milk
FOR THE CAKE:
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ½ Cup Unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ Cup Vegetable shortening
- 2 Cups Granulated sugar
- 8 Large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla extract
- 3 Cups All-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Whole milk
FOR THE FROSTING:
- Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl with a hand-mixer until perfectly smooth.
- Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and continue mixing until smooth.
- Slowly add in the milk, one tablespoon at a time, while mixing until reaching the desired consistency.
FOR THE CAKE:
- Place the oven rack in center position and pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans by spraying with non-stick cooking spray and lining the bottom with a parchment paper round. Set aside.
- Cream the butter, shortening and sugar in a large mixing bowl until completely combined and smooth. Add in the egg whites and vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to combine. Add in the milk and continue mixing until smooth.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the prepared baking pans and place in the pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- To frost the cake, first level the top of each cake layer by carefully slicing the rounded portion of the cake off. (A cake leveler works great for this).Put the leveled side down on a cake plate. Add a thin layer of the Buttercream Frosting to the exposed top side.
- Add the second cake layer, again with the leveled top side down. Add the remaining frosting to the top of the cake, slowly working it around from the middle of the cake top to the edges. Scrape some of the frosting over the edges and apply a thin layer of frosting to the sides of the cake.
- Slice and serve immediately. Enjoy!
LOOKING FOR MORE DESSERT RECIPES: