Cupcake pop up stores on every corner may have reached their peak around 2010. However, the baked fluffy cupcake will always find its place at birthday parties, on conference room tables and kitchens, at bake sales and potlucks across the country.
According to Google Trends, cupcakes are still wildly more popular than most desserts.
- There is a cupcake for every single occasion
- They are individual and portion controlled
- Cupcake are festive, cute, bright and fun
- And, they come in every flavor imaginable
It’s really no surprise that everyone loves a cupcake! That’s why we have so many variations on our site starting with Valentine’s Day and our Red Velvet cupcakes all the way to Christmas with our Reindeer cupcakes.
However, nothing quite says Spring like lemon does and there is no shortage of lemon in these lemon cupcakes. The cupcake batter is a basic vanilla batter that is enhanced with 3 TABLESPOONS of lemon zest and then another BLAST of lemon juice goes in along with some buttermilk, making these cupcakes ultra lemony and moist.
These show stopping beauties make great Mother’s Day treats or as desserts after a brunch or better yet, they deserve a place right next to your Easter Ham.
How to Make Lemon Cupcakes:
Full Printable recipe below
- Using a Kitchen Aid or large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Click here for a step by step tutorial on how to properly cream butter and sugar.
- Add the wet ingredients.
- Alternate adding the flour with the buttermilk until they are both gone.
- Bake – allow to cool and frost with your favorite frosting or try our Simple Cream Cheese frosting and add a little fresh lemon zest to it.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting with your favorite frosting or try our Simple Cream Cheese frosting and add a little fresh lemon zest to it.
- Use a piping bag or Ziploc bag to pipe the frosting on making them super irresistible.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest (from about 3 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill cupcake pan with liners
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Beat in the zest and vanilla extract.
- Add dry mixture alternating with buttermilk and lemon juice, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Divide batter into cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack and frost with fresh whip cream or frosting of your choice.
MORE CUPCAKE RECIPES TO TRY: