The world can use more strawberry cupcakes, don’t you agree? Just picture these gorgeous cupcakes on a table outside during a Spring day all decorated and vibrant pink.
These cupcakes are FILLED with strawberry puree and finely diced strawberries in BOTH the batter and the frosting!
They are perfect for:
- a little girls birthday (or a big girl),
- Easter time,
- perhaps you are hosting a shower for a baby girl,
- hosting Brunch (don’t forget the Mimosas!)
- also great for Valentine’s day
HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES:
Begin by making the strawberry puree. This is as simple as cutting strawberries in pieces and heating them over low heat in a saucepan while crushing them. You can add a Tablespoon of water or even a pinch of sugar if desired.
You want to divide the puree in 2 – as half will go in the batter and the other half will go in the frosting. Do the same with 10 strawberries, chopping them finely as half will go in both the batter and frosting.
STEP BY STEP TO MAKE THE BATTER:
The batter is made by simply alternating the wet and dry ingredients together and mixing in the diced strawberries and puree. Fill the cupcake liners ¾ of the way full with the batter and bake for 12-15 minutes.
STEP BY STEP TO MAKE THE FROSTING:
The frosting can be made while the cupcakes are baking by simply adding the butter to a stand mixer and adding the sugar and a little milk until you get the desired consistency. Mix in the remaining puree and diced strawberries.
Fill a Ziploc bag or frosting bag with the frosting and decorate each cupcake when they have completely cooled. Garnish with a strawberry.
FOR THE BATTER:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar, white granulated
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup cooking oil, vegetable or canola
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 10 strawberries (for puree)
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 6–8 cups powdered sugar, depending on consistency wanted
- 10 medium strawberries (for frosting)
- 2–4 tablespoons milk, half-and-half or heavy cream, depending on consistency
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill pan with cupcake liners.
- Cut 10 strawberries into pieces and add to small saucepan.
- Chop the remaining 10 strawberries finely.
- Cook on medium low until strawberries break down and turn to puree. You may need to use a masher depending on how ripe the strawberries are.
- Divide in half and place small bowls in refrigerator to chill.
- Divide in half – part for cupcakes and part for frosting.
FOR THE BATTER:
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until light.
- Gradually add sugar beating about 30 seconds until well combined.
- Add oil and vanilla, beat well.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk. Starting and stopping with dry ingredients.
- Beat until well combined. Batter will be thin.
- Fold in strawberry puree and ½ cup diced strawberries.
- Divide into cupcakes liners, until ¾ full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool completely and frost with strawberry frosting.
FOR STRAWBERRY FROSTING:
- Add butter to large bowl or mixing bowl for stand mixer, beat until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, alternating with milk.
- Fold in strawberry puree and the diced strawberries.
- Serving Size: 1