Carrot Cake Cupcakes just SCREAM Easter! Come on – bunnies eat carrots, right? And bunnies = Easter.
There must have been a time in your life when you were just hankering for a piece of carrot cake, but unless you are hosting a party or event, what the heck do you do with all that cake?
Well here’s your answer – don’t make the cake. Make CUPcakes instead!
This recipe makes between 24-30 cupcakes making them an ideal dessert for a baby shower or an afternoon party in the Springtime.
HOW TO MAKE THE BATTER:
The batter for the carrot cupcakes is very straight forward. Simply combine the wet ingredients together, do the same for the dry ingredients and let them get all cozy in the mixer. Fold in the nuts and raisins.
HOW TO MAKE FROSTING:
A KEY component to getting a killer frosting is to use ROOM TEMPERATURE ingredients. What does this mean? it means just that. Do not try microwaving them. The butter and cream cheese must be left out for hours to come completely to room temperature. If you feel any bit of coldness then wait.
All that’s left to do is to frost the cupcakes once they’ve completely cooled. These cupcakes can be frozen (before frosting of course) for a quick dessert without all the work.
FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3/4 cup raisins
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and fill cupcake pan with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and whisk together.
- In another bowl, beat eggs, then mix in canola oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and carrots.
- Add carrot mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in walnuts and raisins.
- Divide batter into cupcake liners and bake for about 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
FOR THE FROSTING:
- Add cream cheese and butter in large mixing bowl and beat until creamy and smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth.
- Frost cooled cupcakes.
NOTE: This recipe can also be made into a 13×9 cake. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Serving Size: 24-30