If you want a smoky, juicy pulled chicken sandwich, then the slow cooker is the way to go. Our master BBQ sauce and perfectly timed recipe will yield you seriously flavorful results that will match any BBQ joint around.
We take store bought bottled BBQ sauce and marry it with Zesty Italian dressing. Sound a little weird? Not to us. And you will be a believer too once you try this combination.
Added to this beautiful marriage is a little brown sugar and some vinegar to balance things out.
Begin cooking the chicken on HIGH for about 2 hours. If you can insert a knife or fork in easily, take some pieces out and begin shredding it with 2 forks. If the chicken is resisting or not cooked through, place it back in the slow cooker for a little longer. It should shred with minimal effort.
After shredding the chicken, place it BACK into the slow cooker and add some remaining BBQ sauce and let it cook through until it is thick and beautiful!
The best way to serve your BBQ pulled chicken is on a lightly buttered and toasted bun with some coleslaw on top! Add a little more BBQ sauce if you like and dive in.Print
- 3–4 Fresh, trimmed Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Cup Diced Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press
FOR THE BBQ SAUCE:
- 12 oz. bottle SMOKY BBQ Sauce, divided in half
- 1/2 cup Zesty Italian Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke (1 Tbsp if BBQ is not smoky)
- Buns, lightly buttered and toasted
- Coleslaw, optional
- Pour about 1/2 – 3/4 of a cup of the BBQ sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk all the remaining ingredients for the homemade BBQ sauce.
- Place the chicken breasts, diced onion and garlic in the Crockpot and pour the BBQ sauce on top.
- Cook on High for 2 – 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken from crockpot onto cutting board and shred using 2 forks. (If the chicken is resisting, place it back in the crock pot for another 20 minutes.)
- Return back to crockpot and pour the RESERVED BBQ sauce on top. Stir to coat with sauce and heat through for another 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Serve immediately on buns with toppings and extra bbq sauce.
- Serving Size: 4-6