Guess what time it is!! IT’S GRILLING TIME!
Yes, we have burgers, yes we have ribs and YES we have CHICKEN!
Grilling chicken seems to befuddle quite a few people. How exactly do you cook chicken on an outside grill where the temperature can be anything but consistent? Keep it tender and moist, yet have those beautiful grill marks?
Well, we at Simple Party Foods are here to help you conquer these things and make you look like a Rockstar, all while keeping things SIMPLE.
What commonly goes wrong?:
- First, the meat needs to be cooked all the way through, yet remain moist and juicy.
- Second, the skin needs to be crispy with a slight char, but not burnt.
See the dilemma?
In order to achieve a moist succulent piece of chicken it needs low – medium heat. High heat will cook the outside too quickly and leave the inside undercooked, and most, if not all, of your guests will not be pleased with pink chicken.
YET, high heat is required in order to achieve a crispy, yet not burnt outside.
What to do? What to do?
Alas, that’s where BBQ sauce AND the correct cooking method comes in.
HOW TO GRILL THE PERFECT BBQ CHICKEN:
Full Printable recipe and instructions below
- First we start the grill on HIGH heat. If it’s propane, put the left 2 burners on rocket ship and the 2 right ones on low.
- Next, we prepare the chicken by patting it dry. You can also put the chicken in the fridge UNCOVERED for 30 minutes to help the skin dry out even more. Not necessary, but encouraged.
- Sprinkle it with plain old salt and pepper or try one of our Dry Rubs. Give it a little love with some olive oil and place the chicken SKIN SIDE DOWN on the cooler part of the grill. You see, the chicken can’t actually crisp up until the fat is rendered out, which takes time. Flip and cook the other side.
- By the time the chicken is at 150°, it’s time to slather it with some BBQ sauce and get it over to the HOT side of the grill. The sugar in the BBQ Sauce will caramelize causing a beautiful crispy skin. However, be sure finish cooking the chicken SKIN SIDE DOWN to get the crispiest result.
- 3–4 pounds chicken, cut up, thigh, legs and/or breasts, skin on
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups BBQ SauceBBQ Sauce
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Clean chicken and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place the chicken in either a large bowl or on a baking sheet and sprinkle both sides liberally with salt and pepper and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Place the chicken on the grill skin side down for 10-15 minutes or until skin is browned, rotating or turning if the chicken becomes charred. Once the chicken is cooked about ¾ of the way through, paste with the BBQ sauce and continue cooking until a thermometer reads 150-155°.
- Place the chicken on a clean platter and cover with foil to let the juices settle and let the chicken continue to cook until it reaches 160° F.
- Serve with more BBQ sauce if desired.
- Serving Size: 4-6