Sometimes holiday cookies are so over the top with the thick glazed sugar, confetti sprinkles and decorations that you just want something a little different.
Introducing the chocolate frosted triangle cookie bars.
These triangle cookie bars use a basic cookie dough recipe but instead of baking each cookie individually on a baking sheet, the dough is firmly pressed into a 9×9 baking pan. The very large square ‘cookie’ is then cooled and topped with melted chocolate and sprinkled with chopped nuts.
TIPS FOR CUTTING THE COOKIES INTO TRIANGLES:
- Line the baking pan: Fit a large piece of parchment paper (NOT wax paper) into the bottom of the pan and up over the sides, extending about 4 inches to create “handles.” Lightly spray the paper with cooking spray.
- Cool baked bars completely: If you try to cut bars that are still warm, they’ll crumble and fall apart before you get them out of the pan. Let the cookie bar cool completely until it is no longer warm to the touch.
- Freeze the cooled bars: Cover and freeze your bars for at least an hour to firm them up.
HOW TO CUT THE TRIANGLES:
- Measure with a ruler to get the same sized bars. Lightly score the end of the bars with the desired measurements. For example, this 9×9 pan had 4 cuts going vertically and 4 cuts going horizontally for a total of 16 squares.
- Line up a large chef’s knife with the mark. Firmly press down with the knife through the bar and repeat. Do the same on the other side making squares.
- Make triangles by placing the tip of the knife at the top left corner and the handle on the bottom right corner of the entire square. Cut straight through. Move the knife up to the next square and repeat. There will be a total of 7 angle cuts.
These chocolate cookie bars can be frozen by placing them in a single layer in a Ziploc bag. If stacking, be sure the chocolate has not softened or they can stick together.
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- ⅔ Cup Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Large Egg, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 2 Cups All-purpose flour
- 2 Cups Chocolate chips, milk or semi-sweet
- ½ Cup chopped Walnuts and pecans
- In a large bowl, or KitchenAidwith paddle attachment, beat the butter until fluffy. Add the sugar and salt and beat until well combined and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined. Gradually add the flour and beat until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and line a square 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Press cookie dough evenly into the pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean and cool completely.
- Chop the nuts and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds on power 7, stir and repeat until melted.
- Pour the chocolate over cookie bars and spread with offset spatula.
- Immediately add the chopped nuts and allow the bars harden in the freezer until firm.
- Cut into triangles as described above.
- Serving Size: 1
MORE FAVORITE HOLIDAY COOKIE RECIPES:
If you tried this recipe, leave us a comment. We’d love to hear from you.! Don’t forget to subscribe to SIMPLE PARTY FOOD to get a weekly email with our latest recipes. You can also FOLLOW us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a thing!