The holiday season is right around the corner and bakers everywhere are getting their holiday cookie tins out to start stuffing them full of goodies!
If google trends are right, this holiday season is expected to see a surge in cookie giving this year.
Why? Well, the pandemic has breathed new life into home gifts. Another reason …people are insecure with the economy and cookies are cheap to make and people just want to spread the love!
So if you feel the urge to bake your own holiday cookies this year, may we suggest starting with these peppermint cookies. They are a gorgeous vibrant red, dipped in melted chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy canes.
They begin with a basic cookie dough that gets enhanced with some peppermint extract and red food coloring. You don’t have to make the cookies red, but it sure does make them festive!
- 1 Cup Unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Large Egg, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint extract
- 2–3 drops Red food coloring
- Granulated sugar, optional
- Chocolate almond bark or other melting chocolate
- Crushed peppermint or candy canes
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until fluffy.
- Add sugar and salt and beat until well combined and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour and beat until well combined.
- Add food coloring and peppermint extract and mix very well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Roll into small balls and place on the baking sheet.
- Lightly press down each cookie ball using a flat bottom glass dipped in water.
- Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar if desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edge are set and slightly golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack and cool completely.
- Crush peppermint in a resealable bag using a rolling pin.
- Melt chocolate in microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds on 70% power, stir and repeat until melted.
- Dip edge of cookie into chocolate and immediately add crushed peppermint.
- Set on wire rack or decorative plate to set.
- Serving Size: 1