In order to have beautifully vibrant colorful Easter eggs, the first order of business is to get those eggs hard boiled.
Our foolproof method can be found by clicking HERE.
Once the eggs are COMPLETELY cooled it’s time to get some color on!
How to dye Easter eggs
- Add one tablespoon of white vinegar to a measuring cup or bowl deep enough to submerge at least 2 eggs.
- Add food coloring for the color you wish to dye according to the chart below.
- Add ¾ cup of boiling water.
- Place an egg on a slotted or regular spoon and dunk, turning occasionally so both sides get color.
- Remove the eggs and place on a wire rack over a plate with paper toweling to allow the colored eggs to drip dry.
To create different shades and tints follow these tips:
- For Pastel or Lightly colored eggs dip them for less than 3 minutes.
- For a rich, darker hue submerge the egg for more than 10 minutes.
|COLOR||NUMBER OF DROPS||NUMBER OF DROPS|
|Cantelope||24 Yellow||2 Red|
|Dusty Rose||14 Red||6 Blue|
|Fushia||18 Red||2 Blue|
|Jade||17 Green||3 Blue|
|Lime||24 Yellow||4 Green|
|Mint Green||14 Green||6 Yellow|
|Orange Sunset||17 Yellow||3 Red|
|Purple||15 Blue||5 Red|
|Raspberry||14 Red||6 Blue|
|Teal||15 Green||4 Blue|
Striped Easter Eggs:
Wrap a portion of the egg with a rubber band before dyeing. Once the egg is dry, remove the rubber band to reveal the white, undyed strip underneath.
Decal Easter Eggs:
To block off portions of the egg: Affix stickers or tape in shapes such as daisies or dots before dyeing. Remove once the egg is dry.
Free-Hand Easter Eggs:
Before dyeing, draw on the egg with a light-colored crayon or wax.
Two-Toned Easter Eggs:
To create two-toned eggs with a white stripe: Dye the whole egg a light color, such as pink, and let it dry. Then wrap the egg with a rubber band and dye the egg a second, darker color. Once the egg is dry, remove the rubber band.
Ombre Easter Eggs:
Dip a portion of the egg in one color and another portion in another color. If the two sections overlap, that area will turn a combination of the two colors.