There is no better time than the holidays to have some fun in the kitchen. Why just lay out some cheese and crackers when you can make this fun, decorative and festive cheese board shaped like a Christmas tree?
There is no real recipe here, but you will find the ingredients and amounts listed below for a cheese board that will feed approximately 6-8 people as an appetizer.
A tree shaped cutting board certainly isn’t necessary to make this, it can be done on a flat cutting board, a large rectangular platter or a holiday themed platter. But in the event you fall madly in love with it and must have it, you can find it here.
Simply follow the illustration below and within 15 minutes you will have yourself a very festive, cheery way to serve your guests.
- A trapezoid looks like the bottom of a triangle that has been cut in half. It has two parallel lines (the top line shorter than the bottom) connected by two diagonal lines.
- This cheese board can be made with almost any cheese– provolone, mozzarella, and gouda are all delicious! Just try to avoid cheeses that crumble like goat and parmesan.
- If olives aren’t your thing, substitute additional grapes or cheese.
- To make this board extra special, drizzle the cheese with herb or garlic infused olive oil.
- This board can be made up to two hours in advance– just make sure to cover it with plastic wrap to keep it cold and fresh before serving.
- The key to any great cheese board is abundance! The fuller your cheese board, the more delicious it will appear.
- 8 oz. White Cheddar Cheese, cubed
- 8 oz. Yellow Cheddar Cheese, cubed
- 8 oz. Prosciutto or Salami (or a mix of the two!)
- 8 oz. Olives (Black or Green)
- 8 oz. Grapes (Red or Green)
- 1/4 Cup Almonds
- Cherry Tomatoes or Cranberries (optional for garnish)
- 5 Sprigs Rosemary (optional for garnish)
- Beginning with the bottom layer of the tree by adding the olives in a large, flat trapezoid shape (or to the bottom quarter of your Christmas tree board).
- Next, add the prosciutto in a slightly smaller trapezoid. The key to making this cheese board look great is to make it look abundant– don’t be afraid to stack and fold the prosciutto.
- Next, add the yellow cheddar cubes in another large (but slightly smaller than the last) trapezoid. Now add the white cheddar cubes in a slightly smaller trapezoid on top of the yellow cheddar.
- Then finish the top of the tree with a small triangle of grapes.
- Cut a slice of cheddar cheese (white or yellow) into a star shape and place it at the top of the tree.
- Place the tomatoes or cranberries throughout the tree to resemble ornaments.
- Next, place a small rectangle of almonds at the bottom of the tree to resemble the tree trunk.
- Finally, Garnish with 1-inch long pieces of rosemary to really enhance the “tree” look.
- (Optional) Add a bow at the top of the tree for a festive decorative look
- Serve immediately alongside crackers or baguette, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1
MORE FAVORITE HOLIDAY RECIPES:
If you tried this recipe, leave us a comment. We’d love to hear from you. Don’t forget to subscribe to SIMPLE PARTY FOOD to get a weekly email with our latest recipes. You can also FOLLOW us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a thing!