This chai latte is a delicious drink made uber famous by none other Starbucks. It’s so popular it even comes in box form found in most supermarkets.
However, there are questionable natural flavored ingredients floating through there, not to mention a staggering 34 grams of sugar in under 1 cup!
Chai lattes are usually made with water, milk, and black tea with chai spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper, ginger, cloves, and star anise. So there’s no reason you can’t make your own at home.
This recipe uses the ease of the Instant Pot, but keep in mind this same recipe can easily be replicated on stove top or in a crockpot.
How to Make Chai Latte at home:
Full printable recipe is below
- Using the saute function on the IP, heat the water.
- Once hot, place 4 black tea bags in.
- Add cinnamon sticks, cloves, star anise, ginger and cardomom.
- Add the milk and heat through.
Once the chai is made, it can be served immediately or placed in the refrigerator for future drinks.
To serve, pour approximately 1 cup into a mug or glass and top with cinnamon whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Why go out and spend $7 on a Chai Latte when you can make them at home at a fraction of the cost?
- 3 Black tea bags
- 2 Cups water
- ½ Cup milk
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- ¼ Tsp ground ginger
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Star anise
- Pinch of cardamom
- 3 Tbsp honey, maple syrup or agave
- See instant pot on sauté.
- Heat the water and once it’s hot to the touch, add the tea bags. Steep for 4 minutes. Remove and discard the tea bags.
- Add the spices and cook for 10 minutes so the spices bloom. Add the milk and sweetener and stir to combine.
- Serve into glasses topped with cinnamon whipped cream.
Cinnamon Whipped Cream:
- Beat 1/2 cup heavy cream with 1 Tbsp confectioners sugar and 1 Tsp cinnamon until stiff peaks form.