Crepes are one of life’s simple and delicious pleasures. A crepe is a thin type of French pancake. It’s made with the most basic of ingredients.
- Milk (some recipes add a little water too)
- Pinch of salt
TIPS TO MAKING THE BEST CREPES:
They can be made in a smaller skillet (using approximately ¼ cup of batter) or a large skillet (using approximately ½ cup of batter).
The smaller ones can be rolled while the larger ones can be folded in half and then in half again forming a triangle.
The crepes cook for about 45 seconds on the first side and 30-45 seconds on the other side so it’s important to stay organized and be ready to make the next one as they are cooking.
To keep them from getting soggy, we recommend placing them on a sheet of parchment paper to cool. The parchment paper will become a little ‘wet’ as the crepe will still steam a bit so once the crepes are all cooked we recommend placing a new square of parchment paper in between each crepe and placing them in a ziploc bag to store in the refrigerator.
The wonderful thing about crepes is they can be made ahead of time, which is actually recommended. Just simply keep that piece of parchment paper in between each crepe to prevent them from sticking and wrap them tightly in plastic wrap.
Then won’t Mom be suprised when on Mother’s day morning she is presented with these beauties stuffed with anything her heart desires! Try some of the following fillings:
Add these savory crepes to your breakfast or brunch menu:
CREAM CHEESE & BERRIES
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Simmer all ingredients in small saucepan until slightly thickened
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Combine all ingredients until smooth.
Spread cream cheese onto crepe. Fold in quarters and top with warm berry sauce.
- 1 Cup Crème Fraiche
- 1 Lb. thinly sliced smoked salmon
Spread crème fraiche onto crepe and top with sliced salmon. Roll or fold into a triangle
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1 ¼ cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
Mix all ingredients except the heavy cream and strawberries with electric hand mixer. Fold in heavy cream. Fill each crepe with strawberry slices and ¼ cup cream cheese. Roll up and top with another scoop of cream cheese and powdered sugar.
TOMATOES, BASIL AND GOAT CHEESE
- 2 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 6-8 thin slices of tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, julienned
Spread the goat cheese onto crepe, layer a few thin slices of tomatoes and strips of basil.
- 4 Eggs
- 4 Slices of ham
- Jarred Hollandaise sauce
Fold 4 crepes in half and then in half again forming a triangle. Place a thin slice on ham on each. Place one egg on top (poached or over easy). Drizzle with jarred Hollandaise sauce (Knorr makes one). Garnish with fresh parsley or basil.
BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- zest of ½ a lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¾ cup blueberries
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Place approximately ⅓ cup into each crepe. Top with powdered sugar and extra blueberries.
Add these crepes to your dessert menu:
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup half-and-half cream
- 6 bananas, halved lengthwise
- 1 ½ cups whipped heavy cream
Melt the butter in a large skillet. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in cream and cook until slightly thickened. Add the bananas and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, spooning sauce over them. Remove from heat.
Place a banana half in each crepe and roll up. Spoon sauce on top.
FRUIT SALSA CREPES
- 2 apples, diced
- 1 pint of strawberries, diced
- 15 oz can of peaches drained and diced
- 2 kiwis, diced
- ⅔ cups Apple Butter
- whipped cream
- chocolate syrup
Fold crepe in half and top with a scoop of salsa on one half. Fold the other half on top and top with whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.
STRAWBERRIES AND NUTELLA
- ½ cup chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella)
- 2 cups strawberries (sliced)
SIMPLE Homemade Crepe Recipe
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Powdered Sugar
- Fruit – strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, mango, kiwi, any that you like
- Fillings – whipped cream cheese, store bought or make your own
- Add all ingredients to a blender or a large bowl and whisk vigorously for 20-30 seconds until smooth
- Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium heat (5 for electric stove) until warm. Spray the entire pan with cooking spray.
- Add about ¼ cup of batter to the pan and tilt the pan in circular motion to coat the bottom of the pan. This should be very thin.
- Cook for 45 seconds – 1 minute or until the edges begin to curl slightly and the bottom is lightly golden
- Flip and cook about 30 seconds longer.
- Set the crepe onto a plate too cool. Spray the pan with more cooking spray and repeat for more crepes until the batter is gone.
- Serve with yogurt mixed with fruit, Nutella and bananas
- Serving Size: 1
AnonymousMay 28, 2020 at 8:26 pm
I never made crepes before. These were soooo good
AmandaMay 28, 2020 at 8:28 pm
Came out perfect
Brian J.June 22, 2020 at 7:02 pm
I made these with the ricotta recipe listed. They were DA BOMB. My girlfriend was totally impressed!!