- 1 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup Strongly Brewed Coffee (room temperature)
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 1/2 Cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons Heavy cream (or milk)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat an oven to 350°F and grease 2 9″ cake pans.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda, sugars and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and mix with a hand mixer for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the coffee and combine. Using a rubber spatula pour the batter into the 2 cake pans and bake for 30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Beat the butter on medium speed until creamy for about 2 minutes. Add the confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, heavy cream, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase to high speed and beat for 1 full minute.
- Wait for the cakes to cool completely before removing from the pans. With an offset spatula or butter knife spread a layer on frosting on the top of one layer of cake. Place the second layer on top and spread the remaining frosting on the top and down the sides if desired.
- Serving Size: 1