Making a chocolate cake from scratch is not hard. It is quite honestly one of the easier and more forgiving cakes to make.
All it takes are a few simple ingredients, one bowl and a whisk or spatula. No mixer is required, but you can use one should you wish.
The cake is light and fluffy with a bold chocolate flavor. Coffee is often used in chocolate recipes as it enhances or brings out the richness of the chocolate. So use a pretty strong coffee here.
You can also use what is known as espresso powder. This is NOT the same as ground coffee granules. Espresso granules dissolve in liquid whereas coffee granules do not.
How to Make the easiest chocolate cake ever!
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Add the wet ingredients and give a good stir. Add the coffee.
- Make the buttercream frosting by beating the butter until fluffy. *see note
- Add the sugar, cocoa powder, heavy cream and vanilla and combine.
- Frost one layer of the cake, top it with the other one and frost again.
*Want to learn how to properly cream butter and sugar together? Click here for our tips!
So the next time a birthday rolls around, ditch the boxed crap and give this simple, easy, everyday recipe a go. And don’t forget to tell us how fabulous YOUR cake turned out in the comments below!Print
- 1 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup Strongly Brewed Coffee (room temperature)
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 1/2 Cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons Heavy cream (or milk)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat an oven to 350°F and grease 2 9″ cake pans.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda, sugars and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and mix with a hand mixer for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the coffee and combine. Using a rubber spatula pour the batter into the 2 cake pans and bake for 30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Beat the butter on medium speed until creamy for about 2 minutes. Add the confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, heavy cream, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase to high speed and beat for 1 full minute.
- Wait for the cakes to cool completely before removing from the pans. With an offset spatula or butter knife spread a layer on frosting on the top of one layer of cake. Place the second layer on top and spread the remaining frosting on the top and down the sides if desired.
- Serving Size: 1