- 1 Box Vanilla or White cake mix
- 1 Cup buttermilk or milk **see notes
- ⅓ Cup Canola oil
- 4 Large Egg whites or 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract **see notes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F° and fill cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, buttermilk, egg whites and oil. Mix on low for 2-3 minutes, increase speed and mix until well blended, about 5 minutes.
- Divide batter into prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy and smooth. Add the vanilla.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a medium bowl – gradually add the sugar, alternating with heavy cream.
- Add to the butter and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Let come to room temperature before using.
Candy Melt Sparklers:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Add blue candy melts to a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds
- Stir and continue heating for 10 seconds at a time until chocolate is almost melted, stir until smooth
- Repeat with red candy melts
- Fit 2 decorator bags with a small round tip (I used #5)
- Add melted chocolate to bag, being careful as it may leak out
- Pipe zigzag lines of the chocolate to create the sparklers
- Let set about 10 minutes to harden
- Break apart in pieces and set aside until ready to frost cupcakes