There’s only one thing that could upstage a 4th of July fireworks display and that’s 4th of July cupcakes!
The cupcakes themselves (minus the frosting) only contain 4 ingredients – vanilla or white cake mix, buttermilk, canola oil, and 4 large egg whites (or 3 large eggs). That’s right, we’re using cake mix to cut a few corners so you can spend more time relaxing in the backyard!
Let’s Dive Right into making these 4th Of July cupcakes!
Making cupcakes is pretty straight forward – you know the drill!
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees F°.
- Line the muffin tin or cupcake pan with the paper liners. Mix the ingredients and fill cupcake liners.
- Bake and cool
- Cream the butter until it’s smooth and fluffy
- Add the vanilla, sugar and cream.
- Use the frosting to pipe onto the cupcakes.
Candy Melt Sparklers:
Now, it’s time to finish this recipe by adding the cherry on top – or in this case, the squiggly candy melt sparklers.
- Just melt white, red, and blue candy melts in the microwave.
- Add the melted chocolate to 2 decorator bags (you can also use Ziploc bags and cut off a small portion of the corner).
- Pipe squiggly lines over a baking sheet with parchment paper and let them sit there for about 10 minutes to give them time to cool off and harden.
- Break the squiggly sparklers into pieces and place them on top of the frosting and you’re all set!
With these patriotic red, white, and blue treats, you will be partying like it’s 1776! Just make sure to scroll down for the full details down below.
Just take a look at how festive these cupcakes will look on your table this 4th of July or a potluck. They will be well received for sure!
Milk – by using milk or buttermilk instead of water in the cake mix, it makes the cupcakes taste more homemade, however, store bought buttermilk is sometimes a bit too thick. To make your own buttermilk just add 1 tablespoon white vinegar to 1 cup milk, let set 2-3 minutes.
Frosting – Using clear vanilla extract will keep the buttercream super white. You can also use regular vanilla extract.Print
- 1 Box Vanilla or White cake mix
- 1 Cup buttermilk or milk **see notes
- ⅓ Cup Canola oil
- 4 Large Egg whites or 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract **see notes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F° and fill cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, buttermilk, egg whites and oil. Mix on low for 2-3 minutes, increase speed and mix until well blended, about 5 minutes.
- Divide batter into prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy and smooth. Add the vanilla.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a medium bowl – gradually add the sugar, alternating with heavy cream.
- Add to the butter and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Let come to room temperature before using.
Candy Melt Sparklers:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Add blue candy melts to a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds
- Stir and continue heating for 10 seconds at a time until chocolate is almost melted, stir until smooth
- Repeat with red candy melts
- Fit 2 decorator bags with a small round tip (I used #5)
- Add melted chocolate to bag, being careful as it may leak out
- Pipe zigzag lines of the chocolate to create the sparklers
- Let set about 10 minutes to harden
- Break apart in pieces and set aside until ready to frost cupcakes