- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- Sprinkles or melted chocolate , to decorate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 225F. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Add the egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium-high speed (speed 8 on a Kitchen aid), adding the sugar gradually over the course of 3-5 minutes. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Once soft peaks have formed, add the vanilla powder and gel food coloring, if using. Continue to beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Once the egg whites have become stiff peaks, transfer the mixture to a piping bag. Pipe 1-inch heart shapes about 2 inches apart on the parchment lined baking sheets. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake for one hour, then turn off the oven and leave the oven door open to allow the meringues to cool slowly to room temperature– about 2 hours.
- Once the meringues have cooled fully, transfer them to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to three days.
If desired, dip the meringues in chocolate and allow the chocolate to set fully before storing.
Your egg whites can, but do not have to be, at room temperature.
Use vanilla bean powder (instead of vanilla extract) to prevent the egg whites from destabilizing. If you don’t have vanilla bean powder, vanilla extract will work, but your meringues may be slightly more dense.
Make sure to use gel, not liquid, food coloring!
- Serving Size: 1