- 1 Cup Unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Molasses
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 5 Cups All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons Ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
FOR THE ICING:
- 3 Cups Powdered sugar, sifted
- 2–3 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons Light corn syrup
- Decorations – candies, sprinkles
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses and water and beat until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and additional dry ingredients.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until well combined and scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap in plastic. Place in refrigerator at least 2 hours up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove the dough from the refrigerator and let warm up about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Roll out dough to ¼ inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut with cookie cutter and place on prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until set around the edges.
- Remove and let cool slightly on baking sheet, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
FOR THE ICING:
- In a medium bowl, combine the powdered sugar, corn syrup, clear vanilla extract (regular is fine, clear makes the icing really white) and 2 tablespoons milk.
- Whisk together, adding more milk a little at a time if needed.
- Fit a decorator icing bag with a small round tip and fill with icing.
- Decorate as desired.
- Serving Size: 1