- 8 oz. Package of baby Portobello mushrooms, cleaned
- 8 oz. Package of white mushrooms, cleaned
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Marsala (or dry white) wine, divided
- 12 oz. Bulk Spicy Italian sausage
- 3 Cloves Garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 4 Fresh sage leaves, washed and julienned
- 8 oz. Cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 Cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp. Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbsp. Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh parsley, chopped
- Position top oven rack in middle position and pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Remove stems from cleaned mushrooms by grabbing them as close to the cap as possible and gently twisting. Roughly chop removed stems and reserve in a separate bowl, while placing intact caps in a larger bowl.
- Add olive oil and 3 tablespoons wine to the bowl containing mushroom caps and toss gently to evenly coat. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until thoroughly browned, approximately 8-10 minutes. Break apart chunks with a spatula or wooden spoon as the sausage cooks. Once browned, drain excess fat before proceeding.
- Add chopped mushroom stems and garlic to the pan and cook until mushrooms are soft and start to release liquid, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add fresh sage and remaining wine and scrap up any brown bits of sausage from the bottom of the skillet. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until excess liquid evaporates.
- Remove from the heat and add softened cream cheese and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Stir until thoroughly combined and cheese is completely melted. Season with salt and black, to taste. Cool slightly.
- Add one rounded spoonful of the sausage mixture to each marinated mushroom cap and arrange stuffing side up in a 13 x 9” glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle each stuffed mushroom cap with Panko breadcrumbs, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or a combination of both before baking.
- Place baking dish in pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft and filling is browned on top. For a crispier topping, place baking dish under the broiler for a couple minutes when done cooking. If desired, garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
- Serving Size: 4-6