Apple cider donuts is the reason fall was invented!
For the Donuts:
- 1 Cup Apple Cider
- 1 Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 Large Eggs, room temperature, beaten
- ½ Cup Buttermilk
- 3 ½ Cups All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Salt
For the Cinnamon Topping:
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter, melted
For the Glaze:
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Milk
- 2 Tbsp. Apple cider
Prepreparing the Apple Cider:
- Pour 1 cup of apple cider into a small saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Let it simmer until it’s reduced to ¼ cup, which takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Cool the reduced cider completely. You can do this step ahead of time, even the day before.
Making the Donuts:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease your donut pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together 1 cup of granulated sugar and ¼ cup of softened unsalted butter until well combined.
- Add in the beaten eggs and mix until everything is well blended.
- Pour in ½ cup of buttermilk and the cooled, reduced apple cider. Mix it all together until it’s well combined.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together 3 ½ cups of all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon of nutmeg, and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fill your donut pans about halfway full with the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the donuts are lightly browned.
- Let the donuts cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then remove them from the pan before glazing.
Creating the Cinnamon Topping:
- Combine ½ cup of granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon in a bowl.
- Melt ¼ cup of unsalted butter and let it cool slightly.
- Dip each donut into the melted butter and then immediately coat both sides with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Place them on a wire rack.
Preparing the Glaze:
- In another bowl, whisk together 1 cup of powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk, and 2 tablespoons of apple cider until it’s smooth.
- Dip one side of each donut into the glaze, allowing any excess to drip off, and place them back on the wire rack.
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 210-230
- Sugar: 15-20gr
- Sodium: 150-200mg
- Fat: 7-9 gr
- Carbohydrates: 35-40gr
- Protein: 2-3 gr