Witch finger pretzel rods are a great way to get the little ones in your family involved in a spooky delicious Halloween snack. So grab a bag of pretzel rods, some slivered almonds, chocolate and colored gel and let’s get to making these sweet and salty treats!
How to make Witch’s Fingers:
- These fingers get started with their dramatic black fingernails, which require a few minutes of prep. Mix the black food coloring with a little water to loosen it up a bit and dip 20 slivered sliced almonds in them. Using a spoon, make sure they are fully coated. Then bake them for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the white chocolate in the microwave and add a few drops of green food coloring. How much you add depends on how dark you want your fingers. Our suggestion is to have several different shades for some fun.
- Dip each pretzel in the green food coloring and add a fingernail to it while it is still wet.
- Finally, using a toothpick or tip of a knife, make lines in the finger to create wrinkles.
- 10 Pretzel rods
- 8 oz. Bright white candy melts
- 20 Sliced almond pieces
- Gel Food Coloring: Green and Black
- Preheat an oven to 400° F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/8 tsp of black gel food coloring with a few drops of water and stir to dissolve the food color.
- Add the almonds to the bowl and stir until they are black on all sides. Transfer them to the parchment lined sheet pan (make sure they are in an even layer) and bake for 5 minutes.
- Next, break the pretzel rods in half so you have 20 4” rods.
- Melt the candy melts according to the package directions.
- Once the candy melts have fully melted, add in 1/4 tsp of green food coloring. If you’d like a brighter color, add another 1/4 tsp and stir. Continue until you get the color you’re looking for.
- Dip each pretzel rod into the green candy melts and then tap it on the side of the bowl to allow any excess chocolate to drip off.
- While the chocolate is still soft, place an almond on the tip of the pretzel. Make sure to place the pointed end of the almond upward so it looks like a nail.
- Next, use a toothpick to draw 3 small lines just below the nail and 3 small lines just above where the chocolate dip ends. This will make the pretzel rod truly look like a finger!
- Continue with all the pretzels until done.
You must use gel food color in this recipe as liquid can change the consistency of the candy melts. This recipe used Wilton Gel Colors in Black (for the almonds), Juniper Green and Kelly Green (a 50/50 mix for the pretzels).
If your candy melts seem too thick to dip, do not add liquid. Add 1 Tbsp of vegetable shortening, microwave for another 15 seconds, and then whisk to combine.
- Serving Size: 20 pretzel rods
MORE FAVORITE HALLOWEEN RECIPES:
If you tried this recipe, leave us a comment. We’d love to hear from you. Don’t forget to subscribe to SIMPLE PARTY FOOD to get a weekly email with our latest recipes. You can also FOLLOW us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a thing!