A trifle cake is a classic British dessert that is usually made by layering homemade cake, homemade pudding, homemade whipped cream with freshly sliced berries.
This is obviously very time consuming, but don’t fret. There is a way you can enjoy this dessert with much less work. We save tons of precious time by using store bought angel food cake, instant pudding and whipped cream.
Memorial Day or 4th of July is a great time to make this Triple Berry Trifle. It is very majestic and Patriotic looking. Be sure to use a large glass deep bowl so all the beautiful layers can be seen.
It’s easy to assemble following the steps below. Begin by cubing up angel food cake and layering the pudding, whipped cream and berries on top. Repeat this ending with freshly sliced berries (and a garnish of mint) on top.
If angel food cake isn’t your jam, store bought frozen or fresh pound cake is another option. If you want to get super fancy you can pour a little cognac or flavored liquor onto the cake before assembling it.Print
SIMPLE Triple Berry Trifle
- 1 box (16 oz) Angel Food Cake Mix or store bought cake
- 1 small (3.4 oz) box vanilla instant pudding
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 container (8 oz) whipped topping, thawed or fresh whipping cream
- Toppings: 1 pint ea Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries
- Mix and bake angel food cake according to directions on box.
- In a small bowl, whisk together instant pudding and milk until smooth.
- Place in refrigerator to chill at least 10 minutes.
- Cut cake into small pieces.
- Place several pieces on bottom of glass dish, the amount will depend on the size of your dish.
- Layer pudding on top, smoothing it out with a spoon.
- Add whipped topping to a disposable decorator bag or resealable bag. You can also spoon it on, however using the bag is easier and layer that on top of the pudding.
- Slice and layer fruit.
- Repeat layers and top with fruit and mint, if desired.
- Place in refrigerator to chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 1