We’re saving our calories and sweet tooth for dessert by making this incredibly delicious, yet MUCH less sweet version of traditional sweet potato casserole.
- 3–4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped and divided
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- Add to large pot and cover with lightly salted water. Peel and cut sweet potatoes into large cubes. Add the potatoes and bring to boil on stove top and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain the potatoes in a large colander in the sink and add to large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375° F and lightly spray a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mash the potatoes with potato masher until they are lump free.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pecans to the potatoes and whisk until well combined by hand or using an electric mixer. Check for seasonings and add more salt/pepper if needed.
- Evenly spread the mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle with marshmallows and remaining pecans.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until marshmallows are golden brown.
- Serving Size: 9 servings
- Calories: 344
- Sugar: 25 gr
- Sodium: 358 mg
- Fat: 16 gr
- Carbohydrates: 47 gr
- Fiber: 4.3 gr
- Protein: 4.5 gr