No matter how you cut it, sweet potato casserole is a staple on Thanksgiving tables all over the country. The problem, universally, it seems is how sweet this side dish can be. They are made from SWEET potatoes after all.
There are several ways to combat this. One way would be to counterbalance it with savory notes, such as browning the butter or adding spices like nutmeg and ginger. You can also, believe it or not, add carrots to the side dish. Again, this helps balance the sweetness.
This recipes cuts down on the sugar by using only 3/4 of a cup and adding cinnamon and nutmeg to help balance it. Pecans are also used both in the recipe and also on top to help balance the flavors and add a little crunch.
The marshmallow topping uses mini marshmallows for 2 reasons:
- the mini marshmallows allow for a THIN layer of the gooey sugary topping and
- it helps better evenly distribute the topping.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE:
Full printable recipe below
Casserole dish used for this recipe
Begin by cooking the sweet potato. This recipe cuts the potato in cubes and boils them. They can also be baked which will add even more sweet potato flavor.
Next, mash the potatoes until they are lump free. Add the eggs, sugar, butter, milk, vanilla, pecans and spices.
Lastly, lightly grease a casserole dish and pour the sweet potato mixture in it. Top with the mini marshmallows and bake it until it’s heated through and the marshmallows are golden brown.
The beauty of this side dish is it can be tailored to your tastes. If you like your sweet potato casserole as sweet as some desserts, that’s not too hard to accomplish. Add more marshmallows, add more sugar.
If you prefer it toned down, try adding some carrots to the pot of potatoes. It helps immensely.
- 3–4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped and divided
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into cubes.
- Add to large pot and cover with lightly salted water.
- Bring to boil on stove top and cook for 10-15 or until tender.
- Drain and add to large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mash the potatoes with potato masher until lump free.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pecans. Whisk until well combined.
- Evenly spread the mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with marshmallows and remaining pecans.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until marshmallows are golden brown.
- Serving Size: 1
If you tried this recipe, leave us a comment below. We’d love to hear from you. Don’t forget to subscribe to SIMPLE PARTY FOOD to get a weekly email with our latest recipes. You can also FOLLOW us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a thing!