The Shamrock Shake has become one of the most anticipated shakes McDonalds has on their menu. Thousands of people patiently wait until February/March rolls around to grab a big slurp of that creamy, thick delicious shake.
And to be honest, St. Patrick’s Day just wouldn’t be the same without one!
But you don’t have to be patient anymore! We have recreated this shake for both kids and adults.
You will need vanilla ice cream, half and half, mint extract and food coloring. The ingredients go into a blender and get whirled until smooth and creamy.
Can you add alcohol?
Is that even a real question? YES! Here are a few suggestions:
- Add 2 oz. Crème de menthe
- 2 oz. Vanilla Vodka
- Add 1/2 cup Baileys Irish Cream
- Add 2 oz Crème de menthe
- 1 oz Baileys Irish Cream liqueur
- 1 oz Peppermint Schnapps
- Be sure to use MINT extract and NOT peppermint. The peppermint will not give the same flavor as a McDonald’s shamrock shake. Mint extract comes closer and is less powerful.
- Use whole milk – don’t waste your time trying to make this ‘lowfat’. It’s not worth it!
- Less is more with the food coloring. Start with 6-8 drops, give it a whirl and if you want it darker add 2-3 more.
No need to make a trip to McDonald’s for their infamous Shamrock Shake when you can make your own copycat version right at home!
- 2 cups Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup Half-and-Half
- 6–8 drops of Green Food Coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon Mint Extract (not peppermint)
- Whipped Cream for topping
- PLACE all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- POUR into tall glass.
- TOP with whipped cream, cherry or sprinkles, if desired.
LOOKING FOR MORE ST.PADDY’S RECIPES?:
If you tried this recipe, leave us a comment. We’d love to hear from you. Don’t forget to subscribe to SIMPLE PARTY FOOD to get a weekly email with our latest recipes. You can also FOLLOW us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a thing!