Satisfy all your chocolate cravings with these impressive salted caramel hot cocoa bombs. The coarse sea salt and caramel candy melts put a spin on your classic hot cocoa bombs recipe. It’s a great way to use any leftover hot cocoa mix.
Hot chocolate bombs are all the rage right now, and why not? Not only are they so much fun to make, but they make any cup of hot cocoa extra decadent.
Just drop one of these hot cocoa bombs in a mug and pour hot milk on top. As the bombs begin to melt away, the hot cocoa mix will “explode” out of the chocolate bomb and into the milk.
How to make Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa bombs:
- Brush some melted chocolate into these sphere-shaped silicon molds. This may take 2 or 3 layers to ensure the outside shell is thick and won’t break or leak. Refrigerate in between layers until the chocolate is fully dry and hard.
- Fill them with 2 teaspoons of hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows.
- Seal the two chocolate spheres halves together by placing a plate in the microwave for a minute to heat up. Place one half of the sphere on it to slightly melt the chocolate and combine the 2 halves.
- Decorate with melted caramel and course sea salt.
- Once you place them in a mug, pour steaming hot milk on top until the chocolate bombs burst open and reveal their gooey salted caramel hot cocoa goodness.
- 16 oz. Chocolate Almond Bark
- Caramel Candy Melts
- Mini Marshmallows
- 2 teaspoons Hot Cocoa Mix
- Coarse Sea Salt
- Add the almond bark to a small microwave safe bowl, heat for 30 seconds, stir and continue heating for 10-20 seconds at a time until chocolate is almost melted. Remove from the microwave and stir until completely melted.
- Spoon a small amount of chocolate into the mold. Using a food safe paintbrush, spread the chocolate evenly around the mold, making sure to get all the way up to the edges.
- Allow the chocolate to harden and repeat layering on more chocolate until you have done about 3-4 layers.
- Allow chocolate to completely harden, then gently remove it from the mold.
- Heat a microwave safe plate in microwave for 1 minute, remove it and place one half of the chocolate shell, open side down, onto the plate to melt the rim.
- Remove it and fill with 2 teaspoons of hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows.
- Once all the shells are filled, melt the rim of the second half of the chocolate shells and quickly place the two open ends together and smooth out any extra chocolate around the seam.
- Set the cocoa bombs aside and allow to dry 5-10 minutes then decorate.
- Place in a mug and pour hot milk over the top to melt and reveal the hot chocolate mix and marshmallows.
To Decorate :
- Add a small amount of caramel candy melts to a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds, stir and continue heating for 10-20 seconds at a time until chocolate is almost melted. Remove from the microwave and stir until completely melted.
- Transfer the melted caramel to plastic squeeze bottle (or small Ziploc bag) and swirl melted caramel over bombs.
- Add coarse sea salt or sprinkles for added decoration.
- NOTE: To get the marbled effect, swirl in different colored candy melts with the melted almond bark using a toothpick or paintbrush.
- Serving Size: 1
LOOKING FOR MORE DECADENT HOT COCOA DRINKS?:
If you tried this recipe, leave us a comment. We’d love to hear from you. Don’t forget to subscribe to SIMPLE PARTY FOOD to get a weekly email with our latest recipes. You can also FOLLOW us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a thing!