- 1 1/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoons Cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 Cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 1 teaspoon White vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- Holiday Sprinkles
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 (8 oz) Package Cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 Cup (1/2 stick) unsalted Butter, softened
- 3–4 Cups Powdered sugar, sifted
- 1–2 teaspoons Clear Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Place liners in cupcake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, mix well.
- Add the desired amount of food coloring and mix well.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk until well combined.
- Add the water and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and baking soda, add to batter and mix well.
- Divide into cupcake liners and bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
FOR THE FROSTING:
- In a large mixing bowl add the cream cheese, and beat until smooth.
- Add in the butter, and beat butter until smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing in between each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla until smooth.
- Frost the cupcakes either by using a butter knife, pastry spatula or a pastry bag with tip.
- Finish with colorful holiday sprinkles.
- Serving Size: 1