This version of Shepherd’s Pie is made SIMPLE by using premade mashed potatoes and frozen veggies cutting down dramatically on prep time. So easy it can be made on a weeknight!
- 1½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 Small White Onion, peeled and diced
- 8 oz. Button mushrooms, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Cup Beef broth
- 1 pkg. Frozen mixed veggies
- Store bought (or homemade) mashed potatoes
- In a large, oven safe, skillet, heat 1-2 Tablespoons of oil until warm. Add the ground beef, and over high heat, and break apart. Allow the beef to brown. Do not move or stir it much, just let it brown on the bottom and sides. Once the beef is cooked all the way through, remove it to a plate and discard any left over fat.
- Add another Tbsp of oil to the pan and the onions. Allow the onions to soften and become translucent. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Allow the mushrooms to release their liquid and cook through.
- Add the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth and veggies. Stir until combined and it reaches a simmer. Reduce the heat to low.
- Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer. Add back the beef and cook for another 5 minutes, allowing the liquid to reduce.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes on top and carefully spread them out in an even layer.
- Bake uncovered at 400°F for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are lightly golden and the filling has started to bubble up around the edges. (If you would like the potatoes to be a bit more browned, you can turn on the broiler for 1 or 2 extra minutes, keeping a close eye on the potatoes so that they do not burn.)