- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest (from about 3 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill cupcake pan with liners
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Beat in the zest and vanilla extract.
- Add dry mixture alternating with buttermilk and lemon juice, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Divide batter into cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack and frost with fresh whip cream or frosting of your choice.