There is a reason layered taco dips are the staple dip at any party. One reason is it’s versatile. It goes with just about any theme.
March Madness? check
Outdoor BBQ? check
Why else is this dip a go to? Well it covers 3 of the main bases one must consider when serving an appetizer:
- It can be served hot, warm, room temperature or even cold;
- It feeds a ton of people and is too damn hard to resist;
- It travels well so it’s a go to for potlucks.
So what exactly goes into making a Layered Taco Dip?
This is a showdown of all things Tex mex with the classic players being ground beef, refried beans, cream cheese, sour cream and shredded cheese with taco seasonings blending their way in. The alternating players are guacamole and salsa which can either be layered in, layered on top or placed on the side.
For our SIMPLE recipe, canned refried beans, salsa and guac was the way to go. Feel free to make any of these from scratch if you so desire.
The classic way of serving this delicious dip is alongside big, salty tortilla chips. Other additional sides would be shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, black olives, scallions, salsa, diced jalapenos, etc..
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 1 can (16 oz) refried beans
- 2 packages (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese – or your favorite cheese
- 2 tomatoes, diced – about 2 cups
- 3 greens onions with tops, diced finely
- black olives, cilantro, shredded lettuce, diced jalapenos, diced avocado
- Brown ground beef until no pink remains, drain if necessary.
- Add 1 envelope taco seasoning and ½ cup water – cook until all liquid is absorbed.
- In a medium bowl, combine the taco meat and refried beans until well combined.
- Transfer to 13×9 glass dish and spread evenly using a spatula or back of a spoon.
- In medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, sour cream, garlic and 1 envelope taco seasoning until smooth and creamy. Spread evenly over bean mixture.
- Top with cheese, tomatoes and any other toppings you like.
- Place in refrigerator to chill at least 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with additional toppings and tortilla chips.
NOTE: Taco Dip can also be heated to melt the cheese and warm the filling. Place in 350°F degree oven for 15-20 minutes BEFORE adding any additional toppings. The meat can be omitted for a vegetarian option.
- Serving Size: 1