- 2 Lbs. Beef Chuck, cubed (purchasing 3 lbs of beef chuck will result in approx. 2 lbs. when all trimmed, cut up and cubed)
- flour for coating
- 3–4 Carrots, washed, peeled and chopped
- 2–3 Stalks Celery, washed and diced (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 Onions, peeled and cut (approx. 2 cups)
- 8 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
- 3–4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup Semi dry red wine
- 2 1/2 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 bottle Guinness Extra Stout beer
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 oz. Tomato Paste
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1/4 Cup Parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Allspice
- 1–2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- Wash, prep and cut up all the veggies. Place the carrots, mushrooms and celery in the crockpot.
- Heat up a large skillet (preferably cast iron) over high heat until hot. Add approx. 1-2 Tablespoons of oil. Let the skillet get VERY HOT.
- Sprinkle some flour on to the beef (or use a Ziploc bag to coat) and place enough of the beef into the pan that it is not crowded. Once the beef has a nice sear on it, flip and sear the other side. Continue on all sides and then place it in the crockpot. Continue until all the beef has been browned.
- Next, add the onions to the pan (add a little oil if necessary) and season again with salt and pepper. Cook approx. 4-5 minutes – or until the onions get a nice charred color on the edges. Add the garlic. Cook another minute more. Add this to the crockpot.
- To deglaze the pan, add the wine and the Guinness scrape up any bits left of the bottom. Add to the crockpot.
- Lastly, combine the broth, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste in a measuring cup or bowl. Stir to combine and add to the crockpot.
- Add the spices (bay leaf, thyme, parsley and allspice) to the crockpot – give it all a good stir.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, stir the stew and turn the crockpot to LOW. Cook for another 3 hours.
- About 1 hour prior to serving, scoop out about 1/2 cup of the hot liquid and whisk in the cornstarch. Add it back to the stew and gently stir. The more cornstarch you add, the thicker the stew will become. Taste for seasonings and adjust at this point.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
- Serving Size: 1