If you’re looking for an easy way to roast chicken for a dinner party or a weeknight meal, there is no better solution than the Instant Pot.
It is a perfect vessel to not only brown and cook a whole chicken in under an hour, but also produces the most flavorful juices to make a delicious gravy to serve alongside.
Tips for the Best Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken:
- Be sure to pat the chicken completely dry. Add any spices to the outside and inside the cavity and brown the skin using the SAUTE function.
- An average rule of thumb for time is about 6 minutes per pound, so a 5 lb. chicken would take only 30 minutes!
- Allow a 15-minute natural pressure release after cooking. This prevents foam from shooting out of the valve.
- Make sure your chicken fits your instant pot size. For reference a 6 qt pot can fit up to a 5 lb. chicken. You will need an 8 qt. one for larger chicken.
- Do not discard the drippings – the flavor from the chicken and spices blow away any store bought canned gravy.
- Keep the bones to make a killer chicken stock.
Cooking Times for Whole Chicken:
As a general rule of thumb, cook your chicken on high pressure for 6 minutes per pound, then do a natural pressure release for 15 minutes before manually releasing remaining pressure.
- 3 lbs cook on HIGH for 18 minutes
- 3 1/2 lbs =cook on HIGH for 21 minutes
- 4 lbs cook on HIGH for 24 minutes
- 4 1/2 lbs cook on HIGH for 27 minutes
- 5 lbs cook on HIGH for 30 minutes
- 1 (4-5 lbs) whole roasting chicken
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 lemon, cut in quarters
- 1 medium white onion, cut in quarters
- Clean chicken, pat dry with paper towel, set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine seasonings and sprinkle seasoning mixture over chicken and inside the cavity.
- Stuff the cavity with lemon and onions.
- Set the instant pot to high sauté setting and add oil to the pot.
- Lay the chicken breast side down and cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Place metal rack into the pot with the handles up, add chicken broth.
- Place chicken on top of rack.
- Select manual setting to HIGH and set time for 6 minutes per pound.
- When timer goes off, carefully naturally release pressure for 15 minutes.
- Let chicken rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
- Serving Size: 4-6