A classic Mexican breakfast, huevos rancheros (which means “ranch eggs”) are fried eggs served on hot, lightly charred corn tortillas and topped with avocado, Cotija cheese and fresh spicy salsa.
- 3 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 4 Corn tortillas
- 4 Large eggs
- Chipotle powder, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Monterey-Jack or Cotija cheese, shredded
- Spicy Salsa
- Black and/or refried beans
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn tortillas, one at a time, to the skillet and fry for 15-20 seconds on each side, just until the tortillas begin to crisp around the edges. Transfer to a plate and blot off excess oil with paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortillas and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and fry the eggs sunny-side up in the leftover oil, just until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Season with chipotle powder and sea salt, to taste, and remove from heat.
- Top each tortilla with a sunny-side up egg and serve immediately with choice of diced avocado, fresh cilantro, shredded Monterey-Jack or Cotija cheese, refried beans, and/or spicy salsa.