What are you doing Saturday morning? Making these classic Huevos Rancheros Eggs, of course.
This traditional Mexican breakfast recipe is a welcome addition to almost any weekend brunch menu. The heart of this dish includes lightly fried eggs sitting atop crispy corn tortillas. From there, it can be customized with your choice of delicious toppings, ranging from refried beans to spicy salsa.
This Mexican breakfast favorite is everything you want it to be and more! Best of all? It comes together in a snap as you only need 10 minutes to prep.
- Just fry the corn tortillas in a skillet for a few seconds to bring out their flavor and give them a nice char.
- Fry the eggs sunny-side up until the whites are fully cooked but leave the yolks runny.
- Add Chipotle powder and salt to taste. You can get creative and experiment with different spices to suit your taste.
- Place an egg in each tortilla and serve with some slices of avocado, fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, refried beans, and spicy salsa. For a more powerful flavor punch, make your own homemade spicy salsa for an extra oomph.
They’re so delicious and healthy, you can eat Huevos Rancheros Eggs all week.
A classic Mexican breakfast, huevos rancheros (which means “ranch eggs”) are fried eggs served on hot, lightly charred corn tortillas and topped with avocado, Cotija cheese and fresh spicy salsa.
- 3 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 4 Corn tortillas
- 4 Large eggs
- Chipotle powder, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Monterey-Jack or Cotija cheese, shredded
- Spicy Salsa
- Black and/or refried beans
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn tortillas, one at a time, to the skillet and fry for 15-20 seconds on each side, just until the tortillas begin to crisp around the edges. Transfer to a plate and blot off excess oil with paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortillas and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and fry the eggs sunny-side up in the leftover oil, just until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Season with chipotle powder and sea salt, to taste, and remove from heat.
- Top each tortilla with a sunny-side up egg and serve immediately with choice of diced avocado, fresh cilantro, shredded Monterey-Jack or Cotija cheese, refried beans, and/or spicy salsa.