Hot Chocolate Bombs are all the rage these days, and it’s easy to see why. They’re fun to create, and even more fun to enjoy!
If you’ve never tried a hot chocolate bomb before, you’re really missing out! The concept is simple: just like a bath bomb, these decadent treats are meant to create magic when they come in contact with hot milk or water.
Filled with hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows, hot cocoa bombs make the most scrumptious cup of hot chocolate. The chocolate candy coating melts into your mug and gives your hot cocoa an extra boost of creamy, chocolatey texture.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs Step by Step:
Full printable recipe below
The process may look intense, but don’t let it fool you. Making hot chocolate bombs is much easier than you think. Here’s how to do it:
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave until smooth and creamy, then gently spoon a little into the wells of your chocolate mold.
- Working quickly, use a small pastry brush to paint the chocolate up the sides of the molds.
- Allow the chocolate to harden completely, then repeat the process, adding 2-3 more layers of chocolate over your bomb molds.
- When the chocolate has completely hardened, carefully remove each piece and fill one side of the shells with hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows.
- Warm a microwaveable plate for a few seconds, then gently press the open edge of the other shell halves into the plate to melt the chocolate a bit.
- Immediately place the top half of the shell over the filled half, and carefully smooth out the melted chocolate around the seam to seal the cocoa bomb.
Then comes the best part! After your hot chocolate bombs have cooled and set completely, place one into a mug and pour hot milk over it.
Watch as the bomb melts and the hot cocoa mix and marshmallows are revealed and your mug is filled with a rich, creamy cup of cocoa! Give it a good stir, then dig in!
- In a microwavable bowl, melt the chocolate at 70% power for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Spoon a small amount into the mold and, quickly using a food paintbrush, spread the chocolate evenly around the mold, making sure to get all the way up to the edges.
- Allow the chocolate to harden (you can freeze these to quicken the hardening time) and repeat layering on more chocolate until you have done about 3-4 layers.
- Allow the chocolate to completely harden (approx 5 minutes), then gently remove the chocolate from the mold.
- Fill one side of the shell ¾ of the way full with 2-4 teaspoons of hot chocolate mix and mini marshmallows.
- Heat a microwave safe plate in the microwave for 20 seconds. Place the second half of the chocolate shell open side down onto the plate to melt the rim.
- Quickly place the empty shell on top of the full shell and smooth out any extra chocolate around the seam.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, place one of the bombs in a mug and pour hot milk over the top to melt and reveal the hot chocolate and marshmallows within.
Try pouring sprinkles around the seam to make it less noticeable.
- Serving Size: 1
MORE FAVORITE DRINK RECIPES:
If you tried this recipe, leave us a comment. We’d love to hear from you. Don’t forget to subscribe to SIMPLE PARTY FOOD to get a weekly email with our latest recipes. You can also FOLLOW us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss a thing!