If you are looking for a simple dinner idea, nothing says simple like shrimp. Well, ok, there is a little prep work to be done, BUT you can always buy shrimp that has already been peeled and cleaned for you. So there’s go that excuse!
But even with the prep work (which can be done way in advance), nothing says summer like some shrimp on the Barbie! Are we right?
There is a slight balancing act when it comes to grilling shrimp. They obviously cook SUPER fast, which is a good thing, that’s what we want. But we also want those beautiful grilled char marks that come with grilling our food.
So how do we achieve this?
DRY THEM OUT – Skewer the shrimp BEFORE marinating them and put them in the fridge UNCOVERED for 30 minutes. This allows the shrimp to dry out and give them a head start for those char marks.
HIGH HEAT! The highest your grill can go. If your grill is not smoking hot then you will have pale pathetic looking shrimp. Scrape it totally clean and lightly oil it. Place the shrimp on an angle and let them cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes per side.
How to Make Grilled Shrimp:
Full Printable recipe and instructions below
- Begin with clean, dry shrimp and skewer them onto metal or wooden skewers with the skewer going through the head and the tail of the shrimp. This will keep the shrimp from rotating and laying flat on the grill.
- Place them in the fridge UNCOVERED for at least 30 minutes (or until ready to use).
- Make the marinade and pour it over the shrimp. We found using a glass 9×13 baking dish works best for this. Refrigerate for NO MORE than 30 minutes. You might want to save a little of the marinade to pour over the shrimp after grilling.
- Grill over high heat for 2-3 minutes per side.
Grilled shrimp can be served as the main dish with a big pile of rice pilaf and some grilled veggies or it can be the other half of a Surf and Turf dinner or it can be cooled and served with a side of cocktail sauce for shrimp cocktail.
SIMPLE Grilled Garlic and Herb Shrimp Skewers
- 1 Pound Large Raw Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Zest
- ¼ Cup Lemon Juice
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Add the shrimp to the marinade, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill to high heat.
- Skewer the shrimp and cook for at least 2-3 minutes on each side or just until the shrimp turn a nice pink color and begin to get char marks.
- Serve with a big side of rice pilaf and grilled veggies.
- Serving Size: 1
Abett52July 1, 2020 at 6:52 pm
Super easy. And shrimp were so good