Guacamole is a staple party food and it’s SUPER easy to make. Overripe avocados, lots of garlic, onions, cilantro and the unexpected Rotel diced tomatoes make this not only a 5 ingredient dip … but a 5 MINUTE dip!
Guacamole is a staple party dip and knowing how to make an epic one is essential ! Using very ripe avocados is key to a good guacamole. All avocados are considered ‘ripe’ but look for ones that have a deep dark color or feel a little soft to the touch.
Mash the avocado as much as desired, leaving a few chunks if that’s your thing. Red onion, cilantro, and lime are the basics in guacamole but finding ripe tomatoes in the winter can be a bit of a challenge.
Using Rotel diced tomatoes is the perfect solution and they come in different heats … mild, hot even fire roasted for a little extra flavor!Print
- 4 ripe avocados
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced (or pressed)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2–3 Tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Rotel diced tomatoes (many varieties to chose from)
- 1/2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by slicing the avocados in half lengthwise. You will feel the pit in the middle, bring your knife to it and just rotate until the avocado is sliced in half. Twist the avocado to open. Using your knife, quickly tap the pit with your knife so the knife wedges into it. Gently twist and the pit should come right out.
- Scoop the avocado out and put in a small bowl. Mash with the back of a fork to the desired consistency.
- Add the minced garlic, diced onion, cilantro, Rotel tomatoes, lime and lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Mix and refrigerate.