- 1 container real lump crab meat (8 oz)
- 1 package Jiffy Cornbread mix
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Saute the onion and pepper in a Tablespoon of oil until softened. Add the garlic and saute another 30 seconds. Let cool.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Add the onions and peppers. Carefully mix.
- Shape into small balls and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a pot, wok or saute pan, add oil over medium high heat. You want there to be enough oil to cover the crab balls by 3/4.
- Drop in 4-5 crab balls at a time and let them cook until they turn a golden brown, between 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Place on paper towels and continue until all poppers are done.