A slice of cinnamon swirl crumb cake warm from the oven is the perfect breakfast on a cool morning. A tender moist cake base topped with a mound of simple cinnamon sugar crumb topping and a sweet glaze makes for the most mouthwatering treat for your tastebuds!
Served alongside a hot cup of coffee, there isn’t a better way to start the day.
One of the best things about making coffee cake is just how simple the process is. With a few steps you’ll have a simple and flavorful coffee cake in no time.
Making Cinnamon Coffee Cake Step by Step:
Full printable recipe below
- Begin by preparing the cake using common ingredients like flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix in milk, eggs, and vanilla to create a creamy cake batter. Spread the batter evenly into a prepared cake pan to create the base of the coffee cake.
- Next, mix together the best part – the CRUMB topping – brown sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle over the cake batter.
- Use a toothpick or knife to swirl the cinnamon and brown sugar topping into the batter, then bake until the center is set and the top is golden brown.
- The final touch to this crumb cake is drizzling a super easy sugar glaze on top. This step is optional. Combine powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and a little water to make the glaze.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake and allow to cool, then dig in! As the glaze cools it’ll harden into a luscious topping that you won’t be able to resist!
- 3 Cups All purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- 2 Large Eggs
- 4 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 Cup Brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 3 Cups Powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1–2 Tablespoon Water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray an 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan with cooking spray and lay down a piece of parchment paper. Spray again lightly. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda together.
- In a separate bowl mix the milk, eggs and vanilla extract. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet and mix slightly, now add in the melted butter. Mix until combined well.
- Pour the batter evenly into the pan.
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together and spread evenly on the cake. Swirl the sugar and cinnamon into the batter using a skewer.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let the cake cool completely.
- Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and water until it is a consistency like pancake syrup. Pour over the cake and it will set as a hard glaze.
Feel free to substitute the sugar glaze with just a dusting of powdered sugar for that New York crumb cake feel.
- Serving Size: 12 servings