If you’re looking for a fun & festive appetizer for your holiday table, then look no further! This caramelized nut pinecone cheeseball is not only delicious, it’s fun to make too. This is a cheeseball that is sure to wow your loved ones.
This isn’t just any old run-of-the-mill cheeseball! It starts with a simple cream cheese base that gets filled with the most divine caramelized nut mixture.
How to Caramelize the Nuts:
- You’ll start by combining your choice of nuts (pecans, almonds, and walnuts are all great options) with brown sugar, water, and butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook for a few minutes until the wet ingredients have come together to create a sweet & sticky caramel coating on the nuts.
- After the caramelized nuts have cooled, simply give them a fine chop and allow them to continue to cool .
How to Make a Pinecone Cheeseball:
Full printable recipe below
- Place the cream cheese and the caramelized nuts in a bowl and mix together until the nuts are well-incorporated.
- Place the cheeseball mixture on a piece of plastic wrap, then cover and shape into a pinecone shape.
- Finally, stick slivered almonds into the cheeseball in the pattern of a pinecone’s scales, moving in a circular manner starting at the bottom of the cheeseball.
- Refrigerate your pinecone cheeseball until you’re ready to serve it. Serve it on a decorative plate surrounded with an assortment of crackers or breadsticks, and dig in.
Anyone can make a cheeseball that is shaped like a pinecone, but what sets this appetizer apart is the unexpected sweet, sticky flavor that comes from caramelizing the nuts. This pinecone cheeseball is the perfect addition to any holiday appetizer spread!Print
- 1 Cup Nuts (pecans, walnuts or almonds – or a mixture)
- ¼ Cup Light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1/Tablespoon Butter, unsalted
- 8 oz Cream cheese, softened
- Sliced almonds
- Add the nuts, brown sugar, water, and butter to a non-stick skillet. Place the skillet over medium high heat for 5 minutes, or until the mixture starts clumping and is glossy. Stir occasionally to make sure all nuts are coated.
- Transfer the nuts to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread them on a single layer. Let them cool completely.
- Finely chop the nuts using a sharp knife or pulse in a small food processor until fine.
- Mix the cream cheese and the chopped nuts in a bowl until fully incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Cover the mixture and begin shaping it into the shape of a pinecone.
- Starting from the thinner side of the pinecone, place the sliced almonds in a circle as shown above.
- Keep refrigerated until serving and serve alongside crackers or breadsticks.
- Serving Size: 1