When it comes to macaroni and cheese, let’s face facts, it’s all about the cheese. So it should come as no surprise why this recipe uses none other than Velvetta. The creamy, smooth and rich texture that Velvetta provides simply cannot be beat when it comes to creating the best macaroni and cheese recipe around.
This recipe also does not call for a roux, which is the combination of butter, flour and milk primarily used to thicken sauces. Many recipes that use flour leave a floury aftertaste that can be unappealing.
Simply melt the milk and butter and add the cheese. Pour it over the cooked macaroni and add a buttery topping of breadcrumbs and bake until it is heated through.
Now that’s what we call simple!Print
- 5 cups elbow macaroni
- 8 oz. Velvetta cheese
- 4 oz. sharp shredded cheddar cheese (white or yellow)
- 1 stick salted butter, divided in half
- 4 cups whole milk
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- Cook the elbows in salted water until al dente. Drain and pour them in a large baking pan.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a large saucepan along with the butter over low heat. Once the butter is melted add the cheeses, stirring so it does not stick to the pot.
- Pour the melted cheese over the elbows and stir.
- Melt the other ½ stick of butter and add to ½ cup breadcrumbs, stir to combine.
- Spread over the macaroni and cheese and bake in a preheated 350° F oven for 45 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1