Baked French toast recipes are a fantastic weekend breakfast – or Sunday brunch. They require minimal effort, feed a lot of people and you get to relax while it bakes. But French toast can be … shall we say, boring? Not with this Apple Cinnamon Baked French Toast recipe it isn’t!
This French Toast is a cross between the classic French toast mouth feel, but when you close your eyes you get a warm cinnamony apple flavor that has you begging for a second bite!
Just imagine Mom’s face when you greet her with breakfast in bed and instead of dry toast with un melted butter and cold coffee, she bites into this delicious custardy apple French toast!
Can you say HERO?
A WORD ABOUT OUR APPLE CINNAMON BAKED FRENCH TOAST
Many baked French toast recipes soak overnight. However, if the bread is not thick enough or stale enough it could lead to a less than satisfactory mushy result.
This French toast is made on the spot so the bread has a nice amount of egg and custard and won’t get mushy when baked. The apples have been cut into small diced pieces and are cooked down with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar which are spooned on top of the bread and baked until golden brown.
How to make Apple Cinnamon Baked French Toast
Full printable recipe below
- Prepare the apples by peeling and dicing them into small pieces.
- Sauté them in a large pan with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar until soft and thickened.
- Cut thick slices from a loaf of uncut bakery bread. Day old bread will work best with these types of recipes. Do not use sandwich bread.
- The bread gets dunked in a egg mixture
- Apples and all their glorious cinnamon and sugar get poured on top – and baked!
The apples get the perfect amount of sweetness and cinnamon flavor that soaks into the bread while baking. The apples are soft, but not mushy and the bread stays a nice firm texture.Print
- 1 stick Butter, unsalted
- 1/2 Cup Brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 4 Apples, peeled, cored, and diced small
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Heavy cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 6 slices Brioche (or other thick bread, such as Texas Toast), sliced in half
For the apple mixture:
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Stir in the diced apples to coat.
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat again and allow to simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce is thickened and the apples are soft. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F and prepare an 8 or 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray, butter, or coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Coat each half slice of bread with the egg mixture until well-saturated, then arrange in the prepared baking dish, slightly overlapping.
- Spoon the apple mixture over the bread, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Slice and serve with maple syrup, powdered sugar, or whipped cream and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4