Is there anything more patriotic than munching on a creamy 4th of July fruit pizza? Didn’t think so! This special holiday is all about barbecues, fireworks, and red, white, and blue desserts.
You may have seen these colorful fruity treats on Pinterest or maybe even had a slice at a BBQ over the summer. Traditionally fruit pizzas are made with sugar cookies as the base. Today, we are turning that on its head and using the buttery, flaky and irresistible Pillsbury crescent rolls.
Yes, this patriotic dessert is almost too pretty to eat. But luckily, it’s made out of simple ingredients and there’s barely any cooking involved. No special measurements, no mixing, or kneading required. Just pop the crescent rolls dough in the oven for about 10 minutes and let them completely cool.
HOW TO MAKE THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
Meanwhile, grab a large mixing bowl and add the cream cheese and beat until it’s fluffy. Then, sift in the powdered sugar. If you want to take it to the next level, add a pinch of salt, a tablespoon of milk, and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Keep whipping until the mix is smooth and fluffy.
Now comes the fun part. Spread the creamy mix onto the crescent rolls.
Place 2-3 tablespoons of the mix inside a Ziploc bag and set it aside for a second. Use some fresh blueberries to design the blue portion of the 4th of July fruit pizza and sliced strawberries to create the red stripes. Pro tip: dab the strawberries with a paper towel to get rid of excess moisture and to avoid any bleeding onto the cream cheese.
After that, pipe the mix using a star tip and place a small dollop of cream cheese under the strawberries. Get the full details by scrolling down below.
Cut into pizza slices with a pizza cutter and serve with a scoop of ice cream, a cup of coffee, or just solo. You and your guests will be seeing stripes when you try it!
Your guests will be singing the Star Spangled Banner after getting a bite of this delicious 4th of July Fruit Pizza with a surprise crust!
- 1 Tube Pillsbury Crescent rolls
- 2 (8 oz) Pkg. Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- Optional: Milk, vanilla extract
- 1 Pint Strawberries, sliced
- 1 Pint Blueberries
- Spread the crescent roll onto a baking sheet keeping it together. Press lightly on the seams. Bake according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, add the cream cheese(s) to a large mixing bowl and cream until smooth and fluffy. Slowly sift in the powdered sugar (and a dash of salt, Tbsp of milk and a 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract, if desired). Beat until the mixture is completely combined.
- Spread a thin layer of the cream cheese frosting on to the crescent rolls. Spoon 2-3 Tablespoons of the cream cheese into a small Ziploc bag pressing it all the way into the corner. Spoon the rest of the cream cheese mixture into a piping (or Ziploc) bag with a large star tip.
- Place 5 blueberries in the top left corner going across and 4 rows down. Place the sliced strawberries in a row going across leaving a space in between each row.
- Pick up the small Ziploc bag and cut a small hole in the corner and pipe a small dollup of cream cheese in between the blueberries.
- Pick up the larger piping bag and frost a larger star shape under each row of strawberries following the same pattern across the crescent crust.