Cooking bacon in the oven has been a game changer. It is a hands off and cleaner approach.
But did you know you can use your air fryer to make bacon as well? AND it will be done faster than it takes your oven to preheat. Most strips can cook in as little as 7 minutes!
We feel a little silly even writing a ‘recipe’ for this bacon as it isn’t a recipe at all. It’s just some basic instructions on how to use the Air Fryer to get some of the crispiest, best bacon of your life!
Prepping and Cooking Air Fryer Bacon
Depending on the size and configuration of the air fryer basket (some are round, square or rectangular), the bacon can be either cut in half or it can overlapping a bit.
The cook time will vary depending on the thickness of your bacon, but the air fryer is pretty forgiving when it comes to opening it to test for doneness. Thinner slices will obviously take less time to cook than thicker slabs.
But that’s the beauty of this thing! You can put it in and forget it until it’s done.
How to cook bacon in the Air Fryer
- Layer the bacon in the basket. You can overlap the slices a bit because bacon shrinks as it cooks. You can also cut the bacon in half which also allows the bacon to cook more evenly.
- Set the air fryer to 400° F for 10 minutes. You should have not have to flip the bacon.
- Remove the bacon on to a plate covered with paper towels.
- Carefully pour the bacon grease into a mason jar to save for later or discard.
How to prevent the Air Fryer from Smoking
Sometimes the air fryer will get smoky when cooking bacon. However, there are a few ways to reduce this.
- Place a piece of bread under the basket (or insert) to soak up some of the grease as it drips down
- Add a little bit of water to the lower pan
- Or, if you don’t plan on reusing or saving the bacon grease, parchment paper is another option. Amazon sells parchment paper for the AF that has holes in it. Check your specific model for the correct dimensions.
How to make SIMPLE bacon in the Air Fryer
- Bacon (as many slices as you need)
- Set the air fryer temperature at 400° F, and set the timer to 10 minutes.
- Place the bacon inside the fryer, it doesn’t have to be completely flat.
- Check it halfway through to see if anything needs to be rearranged and move or flip the bacon using tongs if necessary.
- Remove the bacon using tongs onto a plate lined with paper towels and repeat if there is more bacon to be cooked.
- Serving Size: 1